Spring Cleaning: Clearing Out Older Inventory
Ready to get your shop in tip top shape for spring? We’re comin atcha with some quick ideas for cleaning house and prepping for a busy summer. Let’s let some fresh air in!
Today’s idea: clear out old products to simplify your admin and make room for new items.
Time to delete
While it’s good to keep a mix of products and price points in your shop, it might be time to consider if all of the items are serving you. A shorter product list can make your admin more manageable, and leave room for new items that will reinvigorate your store.
Each shop has their own criteria for why they keep or cut items, so take your time to assess your priorities and choose what works for you. Some things to consider:
- Do some items sell slowly, or have they been around for years without ever taking off?
- Is there a product that takes a lot of time, labor, or fancy materials that never quite covers its own costs?
- Do you have a lot of sold out and hidden items that are slowing your scroll through your products list?
- Is there an odd-ball that is cool, but a completely different type of item than the rest of your lineup?
- Have you been selling something for a while that you’re just not excited about anymore?
A few tough choices can make your shop’s story easy to tell, and maximize the space and attention for the products that work the hardest for you.
Before they go
Ready to clean up? Before removing products, remember that they’ll disappear from your shop’s Dashboard. Your dashboard shows the views, number sold, and revenue per product. It’s meant to be more of a current pulse of your shop than the ultimate way to keep tabs on your business. For a deeper dive, we recommend connecting your shop to Google Analytics (available for all Big Cartel Platinum, Diamond, and Titanium plans). You’ll also still see all sales numbers when you download the CSV of your shop’s orders.